Rome: underground catacombs and crypts tour with roman aqueducts
- Visit the best-preserved and least-frequented catacombs in Rome
- Gape at the Capuchin Bone Crypt, a cemetery literally built from the bones of 4,000 Capuchin friars
- Take a stroll on the Appian Way, and see the historic Tomb of Cecilia Metella
- Enjoy a spectacular view of the Roman Aqueducts - one of the city’s most impressive landmarks
Rome is a city that has built and rebuilt upon itself for thousands of years. Our Crypts, Bones & Catacombs tour is designed to take you deep down into the layers of Roman history, in order to uncover the spellbinding story of the city through the ages. We do so in the most dramatic way possible; by exploring the underground cemeteries and temples that once housed many of the city’s dead and its most mysterious cult, this experience is a guaranteed thrill for adults and children alike.
The tour starts in one of the city’s most interesting catacombs. The catacomb contains miles of creepy tunnels and the world’s oldest collection of bones. Your expert, guide, hand-picked for knowledge of the catacombs, will lead your small
Last Updated: 11-December-2019
group of 18 people or fewer through these wonderfully historic and atmospheric tunnels, while telling you the story of early Christianity. Large groups simply can’t fit into these areas, so take advantage of this truly unique access.
Next, you’ll head to one of the most singular and spine-tingling sights in Rome, the Capuchin bone crypt. The cemetery festooned with the bones and remains of some 4,000 Capuchin friars is a jaw-dropping display of life and death. Although it might appear macabre, you’ll learn why the monks actually consider the display life-affirming.
Before our final stop off for the day, we’ll drive the Appian Way and hop out to enjoy a short walk to see the Tomb of Cecilia Metella. Along Via Appia, your expert guide will explain the historical significance of the fascinating area. To finish out the day in style we’ll visit perhaps one of the most spectacular sites in all of Rome - the Roman Aqueducts, where you’ll be given time to enjoy and understand this monumental landmark from a stunning vantage point.
With comfortable, air-conditioned transport throughout, and a small group of 18 people or fewer, your only responsibility is to immerse yourself in the thrills and wonder of Rome. Our expert guides have been hand-picked for this experience based on both their knowledge and love of history. They make the perfect escorts through our eeriest and most mysterious tour.
- Transport between sites in an air-conditioned bus
- Admission to all sites
- Expert Walks tour guide
- Small groups of 18 people or fewer
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Infants (0-1): free (no reservation required)
- Children (2-14): reduced price
Piazza Barberini, 00187 Roma RM, Italy
Please meet in Piazza Barberini, just by the fountain in the middle of the square.
Directions: If you are traveling by public transport there is a metro station that stops here called "Barberini," which is two stops west of Termini train station. The fountain in the center of the piazza is called the Triton Fountain, by Bernini, and the street that descends from it is Via del Tritone.
- Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure
- Sites on this itinerary include holy places, and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. It is sufficient to bring extra coverings with you and put them on before our entrance to the holy areas
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with mobility impairments, wheelchairs or strollers on this tour
- Photography is not allowed in the sites visited on this tour, due to their religious nature.
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended
Tour departs at 9.45 am, 12.30 pm and 1.45 pm
For further information on the dates available, please refer to the calendar
Tuscany has so much to offer in the way of food, culture, and scenery that it can be overwhelming. T...
Watch the sunset across the romantic squares of Rome on a 3-hour guided tour of the city’s historic ...
Take part in an amazing 3-hour guided tour inside Villa Farnesina, where the architectural design an...
You'll begin your day by being picked up at your accommodation and enjoying a panoramic 2-hour drive...
Take a walk on the creepy side thanks to this fascinating tour of Rome’s spookiest locations. Togeth...
Friday 24 January 2020 - Illuminati Circle Special Guest AVA [Capoplaza official dj] TICKET 10 € In ...