Walking tour in the Jewish quarter of Rome
- Walk through the Jewish ghetto with a professional art historian guide
- Small group tour with a maximum of 8 people
- Taste kosher food and cakes at the local bakery
The Jewish community was among the first to settle in Rome, almost 2000 years ago, in the heart of the city. This community lived in harmony with the rest of the population and enjoyed the freedom to practice their religion, and was an example of the religious tolerance that wasn not extended during the reformed christian years. Roman Jews were forced to live enclosed in the ghetto, between 1500s and 1800s, living with a curfew and several restrictions in the crumbling remains of this walled district, known as "Ghetto", that was torn down in the 19th century.
This tour will guide you through one of the most interesting parts of the city, you will visit the remains of the Porch of Octavia, an imposing structure built by the emperor Augustus for his sister, and where, in the middle ages the most important fish market of the city was located. In this market, Jewish women used to collect the market waste in order to cook their famous fish broth. You'll travel from the Roman age through the middle ages and the renaissance, when important Roman families settled there and built their noble palaces. On the inscriptions in this area you can read about the horrible events that occurred during the Nazi occupation of Rome from 1943-44.
At the end of the tour you can visit the modern synagogue on your own and then walk to the Tiberina Island where the Israeli hospital is located on one of the most impressive spots of the city, a river island.
On this tour you will see:
- Piazza del Campidoglio
- Marcellus Theater and the surrounding archaeological area
- Portico d’Ottavia and the fish market
- Medieval alleys
- Piazza delle Cinque Scole
- Via del Portico D’Ottavia
- The Jewish Sinagogue (only outside)
- Tiberine Island
- Small group tour
- Professional art historian guide
- Sinagogue tour inside (only outside)
- Food tasting (not included in the cost of the tour)
- Child (5-12): reduced
- Youth (13-17): reduced
Piazza del Campidoglio, 1, 00186 Roma RM, Italy
Look for your guide holding a Joy of Rome sign.
- Dress code is smart casual (cover your shoulders and knees if you plan to visit the Synagogue after the tour)
- This tour ends at a different location, on Tiberina Island
- This tour is not available on all the first Sundays of the month, On January 1st and 6th, May 1st, June 2nd, June 29th, November 1st, December 25th.
- Wednesday and Sunday at 2:30 pm.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before the starting time of the tour
Tuscany has so much to offer in the way of food, culture, and scenery that it can be overwhelming. T...
Watch the sunset across the romantic squares of Rome on a 3-hour guided tour of the city’s historic ...
Take part in an amazing 3-hour guided tour inside Villa Farnesina, where the architectural design an...
You'll begin your day by being picked up at your accommodation and enjoying a panoramic 2-hour drive...
Take a walk on the creepy side thanks to this fascinating tour of Rome’s spookiest locations. Togeth...
Friday 24 January 2020 - Illuminati Circle Special Guest AVA [Capoplaza official dj] TICKET 10 € In ...